I have been eating so many cakes lately. Chocolate. Sweets. Ice-cream. Milkshakes. You name it, and if it’s sweet, I’m consuming it by the gallon. But it’s taking its toll on me lately, and by me I mean my hips. Anyway, I have started to bust my butt off in the gym again. Cardio, weights, swimming, the works! But a rigorous fitness regime requires a healthy diet: nutrients, vitamins, healthy fats and a little indulging. But most importantly – PROTEIN.
And what is a better natural source of protein than beans? I’ll tell you. Nothing. Nothing is a better natural source of protein than beans. Be it kidney, edamame, chick, soy, black, pinto, the list is endless. But I decided to boost my protein intake by creating a salad with cannellini beans.
The immune system boosting salad contained tuna, cannellini beans, green beans, tomatoes, olives and a salad dressing consisting of the oil saved from the tuna tin, some white wine vinegar, wholegrain mustard and some cracked black pepper.
So what are you waiting for? Get cooking and get fit!
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 1 bag of frozen green beans
- 2 large or 3 small tins of tuna in sunflower oil
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 carton cannellini beans, cooked as per carton instructions and drained
- 1 packet cherry tomatoes
- 1 small jar of black olives
- Chopped parsley, to garnish
- Cook the green beans according to the packet instructions. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- In the meantime, drain the sunflower oil from the tuna cans into a bowl, combining with the vinegar, mustard and cracked black pepper.
- Break the tuna into chunks and in a large serving bowl combine with the green beans, cannellini beans, tomatoes and olives. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and garnish with parsley.