I always freeze the part of the egg that I don’t use, which means that there is a collection of egg whites and egg yolks clogging up the freezer. But I don’t like food wastage, so this is a positive fact. And I do love getting jiggy with meringue, which is practically readily available with the mass storage of egg whites in this house.
This time round, I felt like making bite-sized treats for everyone. Yet I also had a craving for coconut. Luckily, I had a bag of coconut hidden within the depths of our cupboard, just waiting to be discovered.
And so, egg whites and desiccated coconut were combined and a troop of coconut dainties were produced and enjoyed by all!
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/3 cups desiccated coconut
- Beat the egg whites, salt and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar a little at a time, beating until stiff.
- Fold in the coconut and drop rounded teaspoonfuls onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 180C for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Makes 1 ½ dozen.