Hello everyone! I was very kindly, recently nominated for the Liebster blog award by The Quiet Baker.
I cannot express my gratitude for this nomination. I have been blogging for around ten months now and I would like to think that the content of my blog is slightly improving with every new post. This is my first award and I really hope that somewhere down the line, more will follow. This could be the beginning of something beautiful.
Rules for accepting a Liebster Award:
- The award is given by bloggers to bloggers with fewer than 200 followers.
- Each blogger should answer the questions the tagger has set you.
- Choose eleven new bloggers to pass the award to, and link them in your post.
- Create eleven new questions for the chosen bloggers.
- Go back to their page and tell them about the award.
- Each blogger should post eleven random facts about themselves.
Here are my answers to the eleven questions which thequietbaker.wordpress.com posted:
1. How long have you been blogging?
I have been blogging since September 25th 2012, which was during my first ever semester of college. My posts at the time were considerably amateur, photography especially. I captured photographs on the poor quality camera on my phone. I hadn’t the financial means to purchase a somewhat professional camera at the time, but good things come to those who wait. I am now in possession of a fabulous professional camera, which I am slowly but surely learning to use to the best of its ability.
2. What do you enjoy most about blogging?
Possibly the aspect that I enjoy most about blogging is the idea of random people across the globe reading what I have written. My two absolute dreams in life are to own a bakery and to write a novel, the first one probably being more achievable that the second. My second dream emphasises how much I love to write. Sometimes I think that my blog posts can be a little crazy, maybe even off the point, but everything that I write comes from my heart. I guess this seems to work as I have kindly been nominated for this lovely award by the kind hearted thequietbaker.wordpress.com. So to recap, my favourite thing about blogging is the possibility of different people from all corners of the world, of different cultures and ethnicities, taking the time out of their lives to sit down and read blog posts and recipes which have been written by a young woman from a little Irish city.
3. What is the nicest thing a random stranger has ever done for you?
Kindness appreciation time! This time of the year should come more often. J I see people doing kind things every day for others. Considering the news is bombarded with sad, heart-wrenching stories these days, it’s nice to see good deeds being carried out. I often experience people holding a door open for me as I dash madly to get to it in time, or allowing me to boldly skip the queue in a supermarket because I only have one or two items in tow. Possibly, the nicest thing that a random stranger has ever done for me happened one day when I was down town crossing a road. It must have been a changeable week for the weather as I thought that I had my gloves stowed safely in my coat pocket. As I crossed the road, I heard a car honk multiple times. For whatever daft reason I didn’t look over, assuming the beeps weren’t directed at me. As I continued to walk up the path, I checked my pockets, as obsessively do, only to find that my gloves were no longer a pair and that one of them had gone walkabout. It suddenly dawned on me that the beeping was, in fact, aimed at me and that the random stranger in the car was attempting to tell me that I had dropped my gloves on the road. I walked back down the road, only to discover my glove lying untouched on the tarmac. These gloves also happen to be my favourite pair that I own, purchased from my beloved Topshop. So thank you random stranger, for saving my favourite gloves! It’s people like you that make the world a happier place. J
4. What is your greatest food weakness?
I don’t even need to think twice about this and I’m almost certain that anyone who reads my blog already knows the answer to this question. The answer simply, being cake. Maybe cake is a little broad of an answer? But I couldn’t possibly pick a favourite type of cake. That wouldn’t be fair on the others. I love all kinds of cake: cupcakes; coffee cake; lemon drizzle cake; cake with frosting and cake without; close to home Guinness cake; sheet cake – the list is endless and wonderful. I love cake. It’s my greatest food weakness. That’s all there is to it.
5. Who do you strive to be? Why?
It came to my observation recently that I’m the type of person who gets bored of routine very easily. It’s not that I get distracted very easily, it’s due to the fact that I learn new things very quickly and once I am confident in what I have learned, I immediately want to move onto the next new thing. I feel that if I am not doing something exciting, or something that is new to me, then I am not moving forward – and standing still, rooted to the spot, is not something that I enjoy.
I strive to someday, be a baker. Not just an ordinary baker, but an exciting baker, who loves what she does and does what she loves. I wish to run my own bakery, providing customers with a mixture of creative and classic baked goods which will touch the hearts and bellies of many. Why do I strive to be this baker?
Because I love trying new things, especially when it comes to baking. Running my own bakery would mean that I could provide people with baked goods that I would like to be provided with. Basically, running a bakery would make my dream come true. Hopefully, someday this dream will become a reality.
6. What is your greatest fear?
I have nightmares every night. I don’t know why. Apparently anxiety can cause them. Unfortunately, I am a quite the anxious person. My nightmares can range from my teeth falling out, to giant needles pricking my skin. These fears are, of course, irrational. But what constitutes as real fear, I feel, is the fear of losing a loved one. This is possibly my greatest fear of all. How morbid, I know. I couldn’t agree more. But also, the truth.
7. Name one current hobby of yours that not many people know about.
This is a tough one. Just about everyone knows that I love to cook, write and exercise. I guess you could consider me to be a bit of a movie buff too, but that’s no well kept secret either. The only hobby of mine that I can think of that not many people know about, is gardening. This is partly due to the fact that I have only recently taken an interest in it. I absolutely love the idea of being self-sufficient. I would love nothing more than to live in the countryside, growing my own fruit and vegetables. As of recent, I have obtained a number of packets of seeds and starter kits and have successfully begun to grow my own lettuce leaves, peppers, tomatoes and chillis. There is nothing more satisfying that checking the greenhouses every morning, only to discover that something new has sprouted. I plan on growing some flowers soon too (operation revamp garden).
So I suppose you could say that gardening is a hobby of mine that not many people know about. Once some of the vegetables are ready for harvest, I’ll incorporate some blog posts about them into my blog (provided they actually do grow).
8. What was one of your New Year’s Resolutions?
One of my new year’s resolutions was to “Not be such a morning grump” quoted directly from my list. Yes, the infamous list that is rarely adhered to. Basically, I am not too fond of my alarm clock. If I don’t wake up naturally, pretend that I don’t exist.
I promised myself that I would try to improve my mood before my morning workout, so that I would be in good spirits for the duration of my day. I sometimes remember this promise, more often not. But it’s okay. If you pass me a slice of cake for my breakfast, you just might coax a smile from my irritable sleepy head. Otherwise, just hold off on your morning greetings until after 12 o’ clock.
9. What do you feel is your greatest asset?
I feel that this is an appropriate opportunity to mention my Nike Running Runners – designed specifically for runners and joggers alike. They manage to successfully motivate me into working out, which deserves an enthusiastic round of applause. These runners feel like a pair of fluffy, cuddly slippers on my feet. I can’t appreciate them enough. Without them, I probably wouldn’t exercise half as much as I do. Go team!
10. What is the one goal you wish to accomplish before 2013 is over?
The one goal that I wish to accomplish before 2013 I over is to become a half-decent food photographer and to get through the food photography book that I received as a present at Christmas from my loving parents. I put a lot of effort into the writing element of my blog, but not so much the photography element. By the end of 2013, I plan to be on the road to becoming a savvy food photographer. Yes please!
11. Name your favourite restaurant and why.
Ciao Bella! This is too easy. Emilianos. If I was rich, I would eat at this restaurant every solitary day. The food, is of course Italian. The owner is Italian, along with the majority of the waiters, waitresses and chefs. The atmosphere makes me sometimes forget that I am in Waterford and I have to adjust to the fact that I am not sitting in an authentic Italian restaurant in the heart of Italy. The food is exquisite. For once in my life, I cannot string together a combination of words which are worthy of the dishes served to customers. To make the whole wonderful experience even better, the early-bird menu means that the dishes can be reasonably priced too. Their linguine with calms, prawns and chorizo, followed by their signature tiramisu, is to die for. Favourite. Restaurant. Ever.
Thank you so much for not letting your concentration drift elsewhere after those long winded answers/short novel! Now I present to you, my eleven brilliant Liebster blog award nominees:
11 random facts about myself:
- I studied a Computer Forensics and Security degree for two years before I decided that it wasn’t for me.
- I rarely watch television.
- I do not have a Facebook account.
- AC/DC are my favourite band and I would love to see them in concert one day.
- I followed a vegan diet and lifestyle religiously for one year, only to go completely off the rails diet-wise when the year was up.
- I get more satisfaction from reading an actual book as opposed to an electronic one.
- My two all-time favourite movies are The Pursuit of Happyness and The Help.
- My favourite way to relax is to indulge myself in a bubble bath.
- I have a little Yorkshire Terrier called Pixie whom I absolutely love to bits.
- I had braces for almost three years. The day that they were removed was an exceptionally happy day.
- I recently purchased an ice-cream maker which I have yet to use.
Here are my eleven Liebster blog nominees (in random order):
- Sandwich Chocolate Buscuit (Click here to visit)
- Primal Piggy (Click here to visit)
- Bella De La Luna Foodie Adventures(Click here to visit)
- Gourmet Dough (Click here to visit)
- Little Muffin Blog (Click here to visit)
- Married With Cauldron (Click here to visit)
- Affirmation Kitchen (Click here to visit)
- The Edible Craft (Click here to visit)
- Annies Appetite (Click here to visit)
- Life On Hushabye Farm (Click here to visit)
- Ellen Lunney (Click here to visit)
In my opinion, these blogs are creative, fun and inspiring and couldn’t be any more deserving of this award.
And finally, 11 questions for the Liebster blog award nominees:
- Where did your passion for cooking originate?
- Who is your greatest culinary influence?
- What is your all-time favourite dish?
- What is your preferred cuisine?
- What is your favourite memory as a child?
- If you could visit somewhere foreign right now, where would you choose?
- Currently, what is your favourite blog and why?
- What are/is your all-time favourite cookbook and/or novel?
- What is the wildest thing you’ve ever done?
- What do you enjoy spending your time doing the most?
- What is your ultimate dream in life?
Again, I would like to thank everyone who has read this for your attention and patience. 🙂