Hello folks. It’s October. I love October. I love seeing the ground scattered with leaves of all hues- maroon, sunset orange, yellow, murky green – you just know that it’s Autumn. Then there’s that slight chill in the air. It’s especially obvious in the mornings and nights, disappearing for a couple of hours during the afternoon, preparing you for the harsh Winter that is to come.
October also means squash of every description, everywhere. I love pumpkins. Pumpkin soup is to die for. I eat butternut squash weekly. It’s so sweet and sticky and comforting, especially when the temperature starts to drop. I also seem to crave freshly baked goods when the weather is colder. A slice of indulgent chocolate pie or a fluffy cupcake is perfect with a mug of freshly brewed vanilla coffee. And of course, October means Halloween. Halloween means spooky ghosts, vampires, witches, spiders, goblins and all things scary. It also means yummy treats, such as bags of monkey nuts, bairin breac with it’s treasured gold ring, ghost shaped marshmallows, pumpkin based dishes and of course Halloween inspired baked goods.
I wanted to publish a handful of Halloween inspired baked goods recipes and I thought what better way to start the celebrations than by making my favourite baked good, chocolate cupcakes. I turned these cupcakes into something fear-inducing, by adding orange cookie gravestones, which are all too easy to make. Once I had topped the cupcakes with Halloween sprinkles and decorated the gravestones with food gel, I was extremely pleased and equally terrified.
These little spooky cupcakes are the perfect Halloween treat and are fun to make. As if this isn’t reason enough to make them, you get to show off your creative side too. Happy baking.
For the cupcakes follow my Double Chocolate Spread Cupcake recipe and omit the frosting – https://lovefoodlovefitnesslovelife.wordpress.com/2013/07/28/double-chocolate-spread-cupcakes/
For the gravestone cookies:
- 120g baking fat
- 180g sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tbsp grated orange peel
- 240g flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- around 2 tbsp milk to form a dough
- Cream together the baking fat, sugar and eggs.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stirring until combined.
- Allow the dough to rest for a few hours.
- Roll out and cut into gravestone shapes.
- Bake on a greased baking sheet for 20-25 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before decorating.
Assembling and decorating: Ingredients:
- 200g milk/white cooking chocolate
- Halloween sprinkles
- Food gel pens
- Melt the chocolate.
- Spread the melted milk chocolate over the cooled gravestone cookies.
- Leave to dry.
- Spread the melted milk/white chocolate over the cooled cupcakes.
- Cover with sprinkles.
- Write on the cookies with the food gel pens.
- Make an incision with a knife in the cupcakes that is the same width as the cookies.
- Push the cookies in far enough so that they are steady and won’t fall out.
- Serve and enjoy.