Good morning folks! I can only apologise for the lack of blog posts as of recent. I have had a few exams in college and a very busy end of semester. I’ve also been working a lot over the run up to Christmas. But this morning, I am back with a bang. I present you with……..drum roll………Christmas tree cupcakes.
How delightful are these? Heavenly chocolate cupcakes with a fluffy and creamy festive frosting. These cupcakes brought smiles all round. And how couldn’t they?
I had so much fun making these after a stressful two weeks in college. The satisfaction of topping each Christmas tree with a white chocolate star was indescribable. Decorating the tree was even more fun. Fun all round!
Christmas really is the most wonderful time of the year. Happy Christmas everyone!
Ingredients (Makes 12):
- 120g self-raising flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 40g margarine/unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 160C Fan/180C/Gas 3.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, salt and margarine/butter in a large bowl and beat with an electric whisk on a slow speed until a sandy consistency has been achieved ad everything is combined.
- Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in a bowl. Pour half of the mixture into the flour mixture and beat to combine. Once combined, add the remainder of the mixture. Beat until no lumps remain.
- Spoon the mixture into paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into a cake comes out clean. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- 110g butter, softened
- 220g caster sugar
- 75ml cream,
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 16 ounce box/bag of icing sugar
- green food colouring
- edible decorations
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the sugar and cream. Cook over a medium low-heat for approximately 2 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Beat in the icing sugar until smooth. At this stage, add a few drops of green food colouring. Beat again until the colouring is fully incorporated. If the frosting is too thick, add 1 tbsp cream at a time until the consistency is correct.
- Using a large star-shaped nozzle, pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes in Christmas tree shapes. Decorate with edible decorations and top with a white chocolate star.