Who doesn’t love lemon meringue pie? It’s zesty, it’s sweet, it’s zingy, it’s wonderful and it’s smile-inducing. And probably diabetes-inducing if you eat more than one slice. Which I did. I ate waaaay more than one slice. But who can blame me?
I love meringue, it’s just lovely. It’s so light and fluffy. Lemon curd reminds of spring. It’s bright and cheerful and a joy to eat. These two things combined into a pie cause for a very happy sweet-tooth. I baked this pie for my family, with everyone tasting it to give their feedback. They loved it. I loved it. Everyone was happy. My mom especially loved it. Maybe I’ll even make one for her for Mother’s Day. Maybe you could make one for your mother too. She’ll love it! I promise. 🙂
For the sweet pastry:
- 50g sugar
- 125g butter
- 1 egg
- 200g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- Sieve the flour and salt. Lightly rub in the butter in order to achieve a sandy consistency.
- Make a well in the centre. Add the sugar and the beaten egg.
- Mix the sugar and egg until dissolved.
- Gradually incorporate the flour and butter, lightly mixing to a smooth paste. Allow to rest before using.
- Once rested, roll out on a floured work surface. Drape over a well-greased pie dish and place over gently, pressing down all areas carefully. Remove the excess pastry.
- Blind bake in a preheated oven at 180C for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden in colour.
- Leave to cool before filling.
For the Filling:
- 225g caster sugar
- zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
- 120ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 125g unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Rub the sugar and the lemon zest together in a bowl.
- Strain the lemon juice into a saucepan. Add the eggs, egg yolks, butter and sugar/zest mixture. Whisk to combine.
- Over a medium heat, whisk continuously for 3-5 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken.
- As the first bubbles appear, remove from the heat. Cool before filling the prepared pastry case.
For the Meringue:
- 4 egg whites
- 200g caster sugar
- 60ml water
- To make the sugar syrup, boil the water and sugar until the temperature reaches 121C.
- Place the egg whites into a bowl and beat until stiff. Continue beating and slowly pour in the boiling sugar syrup.
- Continue to beat until cool.
- Place this Italian meringue into a piping bag and pipe decoratively onto the tart.
- Brown under a grill/salamander or with a blow-torch.